- Complete NSF policy
- Applicable content: Agency-funded, peer-reviewed publications, including conference proceedings. In the future, policy will be expanded to include gray literature.
- Article version to submit: Final, peer-reviewed manuscript* (or publisher copy, with permission)
- Designated repository: NSF Public Access Repository (NSF-PAR)
- Deposit (in NSF-PAR) of all publications that are a result of a funded project will be a prerequisite for preparing annual and final reports.
- Research data:
- Data management plan required.**
- Data that underlie the findings reported in a journal article or conference paper should be deposited in accordance with the policies of the publication and according to the procedures laid out in the data management plan.
- Implementation date: Applies to awards made on or after January 2016.
- NSF Data Management and Sharing Frequently Asked Questions
- NSF guidelines on data management plans
- NSF-PAR Frequently Asked Questions
* The “final, peer-reviewed manuscript” is the version that includes all modifications resulting from the peer review process, but before the publisher formats or copy edits the manuscript.